DNF done?
Jim
2010-09-03 12:07:54 UTC
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=113768
One can dream at least.
CJM
2010-09-03 12:28:05 UTC
Post by Jim
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=113768
One can dream at least.
Not meaning to be too blunt, but who gives a shit?

Duke Nukem was shit back then, and the genre hasn't aged well. Might match
some of the generic console fodder, but I don't know why PC gamers would be
interested.

If anything, I could see a host of people buying it simply because of the
history, and then being disappointed.
Sir Taxalot
2010-09-03 12:39:20 UTC
Post by CJM
Duke Nukem was shit back then
This is when you lose all credibility and everyone knows you're one of
these dicks who think everything is shit, and that even if you aren't,
your opinion is not to be taken into account. Too bad.

-Moa Dragon
Doug Jacobs
2010-09-14 20:39:31 UTC
Post by CJM
Duke Nukem was shit back then, and the genre hasn't aged well. Might match
some of the generic console fodder, but I don't know why PC gamers would be
interested.
PFft...this game is so old, that I know people who were pining for it back
in the day, no longer play games now, but would still buy this...FOR THEIR
KID.

Yes, it's that old.

Seriously they should just let this title die. Or maybe stick it inside a
newer title as an easter egg. Or maybe do a 90s FPS compilation with
things like Rise Of The Triad and the original Duke Nukem 3d.

Or, just let it die and fade into obscurity with what little dignity i has
left.
Post by CJM
If anything, I could see a host of people buying it simply because of the
history, and then being disappointed.
Maybe they could release every version - in whatever state it was before
the rewrites happened - in one big mega pack!

Yes, it's Duke Nukem Forever - the CVS archives. Wanna play the game
circa 1998? No problem! How about the build from April 2, 2004? There
you go! Whee!
It's not broken. It's...advanced.
CJM
2010-09-15 15:38:59 UTC
Post by CJM
If anything, I could see a host of people buying it simply because of the
history, and then being disappointed.
Maybe they could release every version - in whatever state it was before
the rewrites happened - in one big mega pack!
I completely agree with pretty much all of this, but nevertheless, you can
see why it will be a big hit. A mixture of nostalgia and pity will make this
game sell like hotcakes!

Is a shame though because the idea behind the game was already tired and
limp when the game was originally scheduled.

Jim
2010-09-03 17:08:46 UTC
Looks like Duke's going to be at PAX.
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/65435
Hoax of the year or DNF gone gold?
Mr Rob
2010-09-03 19:31:48 UTC
Post by Jim
Looks like Duke's going to be at PAX.
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/65435
Hoax of the year or DNF gone gold?
I'm just watching the game being played via Ustream 2kgameslive.

From what I can see the game looks pretty good. However, after so many
years have gone by there is now a whole new generation of gamers. Most
of them won't have played the original Duke Nukem.

That will work in the game's favour I guess.

You might catch the last 10 mins if you're quick.

http://www.ustream.tv/2kgameslive
Rob
rms
2010-09-03 19:40:02 UTC
Post by Mr Rob
From what I can see the game looks pretty good. However, after so many
years have gone by there is now a whole new generation of gamers. Most
of them won't have played the original Duke Nukem.
I watched the stream too, very nice! Not out til 2011, and I wouldn't
doubt 2ndhalf-2011, but still great news!

rms
Mr Rob
2010-09-03 19:41:12 UTC
Post by rms
Post by Mr Rob
From what I can see the game looks pretty good. However, after so many
years have gone by there is now a whole new generation of gamers. Most
of them won't have played the original Duke Nukem.
I watched the stream too, very nice! Not out til 2011, and I wouldn't
doubt 2ndhalf-2011, but still great news!
Someone just posted "looks like Borderlands with proper graphics".

That made me laugh.
Rob
WDS
I'll believe it when I see it.
CJM
2010-09-04 01:00:50 UTC
Post by WDS
Post by Mr Rob
From what I can see the game looks pretty good. However, after so many
years have gone by there is now a whole new generation of gamers. Most
of them won't have played the original Duke Nukem.
I watched the stream too, very nice! Not out til 2011, and I wouldn't
doubt 2ndhalf-2011, but still great news!
I'll believe it when I see it.
After this wait... it's a guaranteed hit. People are going to buy the game
based on the saga of it's development, and a bit of foggy nostalgia about
the originals...

One assumes that they haven't actually been developing it all this time, so
it would definitely turn a profit... if it actually ever get launched.
Lance Corporal Hammer Schultz
2010-09-04 19:32:46 UTC
Post by CJM
After this wait... it's a guaranteed hit. People are going to buy the game
based on the saga of it's development, and a bit of foggy nostalgia about
the originals...
Nah. I loved DN3D, was eager to play DNF for, I dunno, maybe 10
years. I've kind of got past that now, and will likely just read the
reviews.
Hammer
Petri Piira
2010-09-06 14:14:13 UTC